Saturday, March 23, 2013
Quick response time helped to keep the fire from spreading.
It took only about 15 minutes for several firefighters to extinguish a blaze at a double-home on Clifton Place early Saturday afternoon. But it took less than one minute to respond. The home was quickly evacuated and no one was injured, said Lakewood Fire Chief Scott Gilman. With the department’s Fire Station No. 2 less than a quarter-mile away, firefighters saw the heavy smoke billowing over Detroit Avenue just as the call came in. The fire broke out on the first floor at 1405 Clifton Place just after 1 p.m. Saturday. Heat from the blaze melted the windows frames, and black smoke colored the home’s siding. Gilman said it took about 45 seconds to respond. Nearly all units from all three fire stations showed up to help. “That’s why we’ve …
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
LoveLakewood.com shares the causes of 13 of the 15 fires in Lakewood in 2012, and how they could have been avoided.
Keep children away from incense burners. Discard cigarette butts in a secure container. And don’t overload your power outlets with electronics. Sound like commonsense? These were the causes of a few of the fires in Lakewood in 2012. The fire department conducts an investigation following each fire in the city. LoveLakewood.com unearthed the causes of 13 of the 15 fires in the city during the past year. Some of the reports were surprising, while others not so much. Click here to read the entire report.
Saturday, December 3, 2011
The cause of the blaze was blamed on an electrical fan. No injuries reported.
Nearly a half-dozen squads from the Lakewood Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 2000 block of Bunts Road on Friday night. Firefighters responded to an electrical fire on the outside of the multiple-family home, said officials at the scene. The cause of the fire was blamed on an electrical fan. No one was home at the time, and no injuries were reported. Traffic on Bunts Avenue was closed for about 45 minutes. Firefighters remained on the scene to make sure the fire wouldn't spread.