Saturday, December 8, 2012
Officials from the Lakewood Fire Department offer some great safety tips for the holidays.
Everything is beautiful this time of year because, frankly, you make it that way. But your favorite Lakewood Patch editor and the Lakewood Fire Department want to make sure your decorations aren't going to burn your old house down. We checked in with Fire Chief Scott Gilman and Fire Marshal Tim Dunphy for some decorating safety tips this holiday season. “The Lakewood Fire Department would like to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and safe and happy holidays,” said Dunphy. Here's some solid advice: • Gilman said that the “number one cause of fires during the holidays” is from unattended candles. “Never leave them unattended or within three feet of any combustible materials,” said Gilman. “And don’t keep them around natural or uncut …
Friday, December 7, 2012
Faulty HVAC fan may be the culprit in Friday’s evacuation of the middle school.
Sometimes, when there’s smoke, there’s no fire. A malfunctioning fan in the ceiling is to blame for a fire alarm at Garfield Middle School — and the evacuation of about 600 students — on Friday morning. Lakewood City Schools spokeswoman Christine Gordillo said that a faulty fan in the HVAC unit in the ceiling “burnt out and emitted some smoke.” Lakewood Fire Marshal Tim Dunphy called the issue an “electrical fan motor malfunction.” “Everything checked out OK,” he said. The students were evacuated just after 8 a.m., but classes resumed about 30 minutes later. “They checked it and made sure there was no fire,” Gordillo said. “The fan has got to be replaced.”
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
When an employee at Madison Avenue Repair Shop went into cardiac arrest, his co-worker ran across the street to the Lakewood Fire Department — a move that saved his friend’s life.
Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Don Guerra is lucky to be alive after he went into cardiac arrest while working at the Madison Avenue Repair Shop last Wednesday afternoon. It was the quick-thinking of his co-worker Spencer Knapp that saved his life. It also didn’t hurt that the Lakewood Fire Department headquarters is right across the street. “He started making sort of a snoring noise,” recalls Knapp, whose father owns the full-service gas station. “I looked over, he had his head down. I looked away and looked back and he was on the floor.” Another employee called 911, while Knapp bolted across the street. “He wasn’t breathing,” Knapp said. “They were able to get him going again in the ambulance. If I hadn’t gone …
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Nick Cleary, a fifth-grader at Roosevelt Elementary School, selected as this year's student representative to the fire department.
Students at Roosevelt Elementary School got a good lesson in fire prevention, as firefighters from the Lakewood Fire Department stopped by to talk to the students about the important topic. Coinciding with Fire Prevention Week, fire officials have been making their way around the district to teach a few valuable lessons. Students in the district were asked to take a fire safety test and write an essay about fire prevention. There were several students in the district with some honorary fire safety titles. Nick Cleary, a fifth-grader at Roosevelt Elementary School, was selected as the honorary Junior Fire Chief.