Monday, April 15, 2013
Following an FCC mandate, the city also installed new radio equipment for the police, fire and public works departments.
As a few final adjustments were made last week, the city unveiled its new, state-of-the-art dispatch center in the Lakewood Police Department. The new dispatch center was the last piece of the city's $1.1 million overhaul of the communication platform for the police, fire and public works departments. The upgrade — part of an FCC mandate — also comes with new digital radio equipment that allows departments to more effectively talk to each other and other communities. Essentially, police officers and firefighters can communicate with each other — from just about anywhere. The project's total price tag was about $1.1 million, but $325,000 was paid for with grants, according to the finance department. The city’s new $550,000 communications …
Friday, March 15, 2013
A benefit is scheduled to help the daughter of a Lakewood firefighter at St. Mary’s banquet hall at 3256 Warren Road in Cleveland at 6 p.m. April 20.
In addition to protecting the community, Lakewood firefighters take care of their own. The local union is hosting a benefit for the daughter of firefighter Joe Cawley, whose daughter Meghan was born with several severe birth defects. She’s undergone two brain surgeries to combat hydrocephalus and Klippel-Feil syndrome. But there’s more. Meghan, who just marked her first birthday, still faces additional out-of-state procedures, including one in Salt Lake City in the coming months. And with mounting medical bills, the family could use some help. Joe and Sarah Cawley have insurance through the city's health care program, but still pay for many out-of-pocket expenses. A fundraiser is scheduled to take place at St. Mary’s banquet hall at 3256…
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
LoveLakewood.com shares the causes of 13 of the 15 fires in Lakewood in 2012, and how they could have been avoided.
Keep children away from incense burners. Discard cigarette butts in a secure container. And don’t overload your power outlets with electronics. Sound like commonsense? These were the causes of a few of the fires in Lakewood in 2012. The fire department conducts an investigation following each fire in the city. LoveLakewood.com unearthed the causes of 13 of the 15 fires in the city during the past year. Some of the reports were surprising, while others not so much. Click here to read the entire report.
Sunday, January 13, 2013
John Kilbane, the former assistant fire chief, was honored as his funeral procession passed by the Lakewood Fire Station on Saturday.
In Lakewood, paying tribute to fallen firefighters is a tradition. Firefighters recognized former Lakewood assistant fire chief John Kilbane as his funeral procession passed the fire station on Saturday. He died on Jan. 9 at 82 years old.
Friday, January 4, 2013
Water rescue team test out new equipment purchased with a couple of grants totaling more than $60,000.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
More than 100 firefighters from several area fire departments will participate in the practice drills this week at McKinley Elementary.
Two firefighters down; civilians trapped; and a collapsed roof. Well, really that was all a part of a drill at the abandoned McKinley Elementary School on Tuesday. Lakewood fire officials said the practice drill was designed to be stressful — and seem real — to make the exercise more effective as firefighters tested out their new radio equipment. More than 100 firefighters from several area fire departments will participate in the drills this week at McKinley Elementary.
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Officials from the Lakewood Fire Department offer some great safety tips for the holidays.
Everything is beautiful this time of year because, frankly, you make it that way. But your favorite Lakewood Patch editor and the Lakewood Fire Department want to make sure your decorations aren't going to burn your old house down. We checked in with Fire Chief Scott Gilman and Fire Marshal Tim Dunphy for some decorating safety tips this holiday season. “The Lakewood Fire Department would like to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and safe and happy holidays,” said Dunphy. Here's some solid advice: • Gilman said that the “number one cause of fires during the holidays” is from unattended candles. “Never leave them unattended or within three feet of any combustible materials,” said Gilman. “And don’t keep them around natural or uncut …
Friday, October 12, 2012
Lakewood Fire Department’s junior fire chief Sydney Wilhelmy arrived at Horace Mann Elementary School in Fire Engine No. 2.
Talk about showing up for school in style. Lakewood Fire Department’s junior fire chief Sydney Wilhelmy arrived at Horace Mann Elementary School in Fire Engine No. 2. He was greeted by a crowd of his classmates. Wilhelmy was named the department’s junior fire chief for his essay about the importance of knowing an alternative exit in the event of a fire. Firefighters have spent the week visiting schools in Lakewood to teach students about fire safety and show off some fire equipment.
Monday, October 8, 2012
Annual event at Lakewood Fire Station No. 1 brings out a crowd of people, despite the rain.
Fallen Firefighter Memorial event on Sunday kicked off the Lakewood’s participation in National Fire Prevention week.
The Fallen Firefighter Memorial event on Sunday also kicked off the Lakewood’s participation in National Fire Prevention week. It’s a tradition dating back to 1925, when the city’s joined other communities are the country to mark the anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire. At Sunday’s event, Horace Mann Elementary School student Sydney Wilhelmy shared his award-winning essay, stressing the importance of knowing of an alternative exit in the event of a fire. Firefighters will spend the week visiting schools in Lakewood to teach students about fire safety and show off some fire equipment. “This is the kick-off for Fire Prevention Week,” said fire chief Scott Gilman. “We want to focus on schools, where we can interact with the students. Since …