Wednesday, February 13, 2013
LoveLakewood.com shares the causes of 13 of the 15 fires in Lakewood in 2012, and how they could have been avoided.
Keep children away from incense burners. Discard cigarette butts in a secure container. And don’t overload your power outlets with electronics. Sound like commonsense? These were the causes of a few of the fires in Lakewood in 2012. The fire department conducts an investigation following each fire in the city. LoveLakewood.com unearthed the causes of 13 of the 15 fires in the city during the past year. Some of the reports were surprising, while others not so much. Click here to read the entire report.
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Fire engulfs second story of home at 1449 Parkhaven Row. No one injured in the blaze.
The second story of a home at 1449 Parkhaven Row was fully engulfed with flames when the firefighters showed up around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. Lightning appears to be the cause. Dozens of firefighters from at least two fire departments showed up to battle the blaze, which was extinguished within minutes. However, smoke still billowed out of a large gash in the roof at around 10:30 p.m. Several neighbors reported hearing a large “boom” at around at around 9:30 p.m. When they stepped outside, they saw the second story fully involved. The two residents of the home were evacuated. Parkhaven Row was closed off to traffic as fire engines lined the quiet street. Fire Chief Scott Gilman said that an investigation is under way, but added that it’s “…
Friday, June 1, 2012
Looks like an electrical issue may have been to blame for a fire that backed up traffic on Detroit Avenue for nearly 30 minutes.
An electrical issue may be to blame for a fire at Pride of Cleveland Scooters on Detroit Avenue on Thursday afternoon. Several squads from the Lakewood Fire Department were on the scene within moments after the blaze was reported at around 3 p.m. Smoke billowing out of the building could be seen — and smelled — for about one city block. The fire was exinguished within minutes. No one was injured. The fire started in the rear of the building, where mechanics were repairing scooters. “We were working in the back and I heard a loud ‘pop,’” said one of the employees. In all, about a half-dozen employees were evacuated, but before they left the building, a couple of them grabbed fire extinguishers and tried to put out the fire before …