.

Update: Attempted Kidnapping Turns Out to be Made Up Story

This week in police news.

On April 18, a 12-year-old boy told police that as he was walking home from school , a man grabbed him in the 1600 block of Woodward Avenue. The boy told police that he wiggled free and made it home safely.

But, it turns out, the story was made up.

Det. Ray Fuerst of the Lakewood Police Department lied to authorities about the attempted kidnapping. He said, because of the boy's age, the department is not filing charges.

School officials said they have received numerous calls from concerned parents, but want to reassure residents that this wasn't a real abduction attempt.

Burglary

A man told police that two of his son’s friends had broken into his Lakewood Heights Boulevard home through the back door, early in the morning of April 17. Police arrested one of the men around 3 a.m. The other man fled. Police are investigating.

Criminal damaging

An employee at a hair salon in the 17900 block of Detroit Avenue told police April that the front window had been completely shattered sometime during the night.

Disturbance

A woman in an apartment building in the 14500 block of Madison Avenue told police that her ex-boyfriend kicked in her door at around 9 p.m. April 17. They made an arrangement to have the door fixed.

Sticks and stones        

Police responded to a call around 3 p.m. April 18 that a girl was throwing rocks at a group of boys near Madison and McKinley avenues. When the officers arrived the children were gone.

Compiled by police reports.

bridget April 25, 2011 at 02:05 PM
Can't believe there is all this trouble. Then we hear about it weeks later. That is the higher up controlling the situation. The schools have no problem sending out phone calls when that woman was shot and there was a history there. Crazy, and disappointing.
Mara Carney April 25, 2011 at 02:41 PM
I agree- I wish I had heard about this from the school- so we could warn our kids to be more vigilant and walk with a friend or in a group.
Judith Szentkiralyi May 02, 2011 at 04:29 AM
So is there any police update on this?? I agree with both of you and we are not happy the way this was handled...
Judith Szentkiralyi May 02, 2011 at 03:18 PM
I just received a phone call from Mr. Ketih Ahern, Principal @ Harding. He explained to me that he got a phone call from a parent on the 18th of April about this alleged incident involving her son and he was also notified promptly by the police as well. Upon further police investigation and talking with the boy, the police were told by the boy that it had been made up and never happened. That is good news, and Mr. Ahearn did not realize that it was on the Patch - he thought that since the incident seemingly resolved itself in one day that an alert or a letter was not necessary to alarm parents. I think the Patch should be more responsible in posting these stories before there is enough information or at the least they should have updated us on the fact that it NEVER really happened. The story still says that the police are investigating. This seems like irresponsible journalism! Thank you, Mr. Ahearn for the phone call - I really appreciated it.
Carol Hunt May 02, 2011 at 03:31 PM
I agree with you 100%, Judy. Thanks for posting.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »