The man who was pronounced dead shorty after a 6:30 a.m. fire at 2134 Atkins Ave. on Sept. 23 has been identified as Bob Toomey, 53, of Lakewood.
Lakewood Fire Chief Scott Gilman confirmed Toomey's identity but said the cause of death was pending today's autopsy.
Toomey was taken by ambulance to Lakewood Hospital after he was found in the back bedroom of his house. He was pronounced dead at 7:20 a.m. yesterday.
Toomey, who had one arm, was frequently seen riding his bike through Lakewood, attending events.
Gilman said the house had a smoke detector present but the battery was disconnected.
“People need working smoke detectors and a plan to get out,” he said.
The fire remains under investigation.
Gilman said three ambulances responded in addition to the fire truck and 24 fire personnel. The Westlake Fire Department is assisting with the investigation.