In 1775 the North American Society was small communities.
There was no central Army, Navy or Air Force. To break with King George the citizens of North America establish a central military using the available weapons. The Second Amendment was written under those circumstances.
Laws are written today, as they were in 1775, for present behavior. In our modern society we are not writing laws for gravity free automobiles, laser pistols, transporters or bubble environmentals. The Colonials were writing laws to break away from a dictatorial government.
The main weapons tool used by the Colonials was a gun that took 15 seconds to reload.
We can’t erase our history from 1775 to the present. We can’t easily change institutional behavior. However we can write laws that will head us toward the optimal behavior. We have the vote there is no need; “guns for freedom.”
The best law would be: weapons are only for the military and the police. Private carriers or owners of guns are an exception not privilege or a right. Under present gun moss, that can’t happen. Pushing the possible outer limits, without undo disruption to society, The Liberal Party USA’s position is:
- All weapons will be kept safely in the place of residence. If residents harm themselves or others the owner of that weapon will be held accountable.
- Any automatic or semi-automatic weapon (not a revolver) is illegal. Authorities will not invade residences solely to confiscate those illegal weapons.
- There is no need to hunt. People should not kill living beings for sport. Especially those that have a conceptual transference. This rule will obviously take a long time. Don’t even try to introduce it until a change in the custom occurs.
- A legal weapon can be transported out of residence; to hunt, take to a regulated shooting range or for changing residences.
- If the need is evident an armed government official is on site.
Any other law, to address the gun issue, is superfluous. When are you sane or what kind of recreation is acceptable are separate issues. Presently, are these laws possible? No! But, that is our goal.
Liberals always get their way, eventually. Conservatives never do, ever.