An electrical issue may be to blame for a fire at on Detroit Avenue on Thursday afternoon.
Several squads from the were on the scene within moments after the blaze was reported at around 3 p.m.
Smoke billowing out of the building could be seen — and smelled — for about one city block.
The fire was exinguished within minutes.
No one was injured.
The fire started in the rear of the building, where mechanics were repairing scooters.
“We were working in the back and I heard a loud ‘pop,’” said one of the employees.
In all, about a half-dozen employees were evacuated, but before they left the building, a couple of them grabbed fire extinguishers and tried to put out the fire before firefighters arrived.
They almost had it, but the blaze flared up again as the squads arrived.
Westbound traffic on Detroit Avenue crawled to a stop for nearly 30 minutes.
said building department officials followed up, looking into an electrical box that may be to blame for the blaze.
“It appears to be accidental, but the fire is under investigation,” he said. “The employees did a good job, and the fire department responded quickly — as always.”
A damage estimate was not immediately available, but the fire — and smoke damage — appeared to be contained at the rear of the building.