Invite a friend
Meet the Author: East Fourth Street: The Rise, Decline, and Rebirth of an Urban Cleveland Street and Cleveland’s Short Vincent: The Theatrical Grill and its Notorious Neighbors by Alan Dutka
Step out and dive into some Cleveland hotspots that really burned bright. Author Alan Dutka looks into the past to deliver a glimpse of the future with two fascinating books about two Cleveland streets.
East Fourth Street's story, all by itself, has mirrored downtown's dynamic rise, decline, and rebirth. Once the home to the fabled Euclid Avenue Opera House, Otto Moser’s restaurant, Fourth Street fell into disrepair in the second half of the 20th Century. Yet, the historic alleyway found new life with help of visionary leaders and savvy restaurateurs. Today it serves as the center of a chic residential and entertainment district—perhaps the coolest place in Cleveland.
The Theatrical Grill on Short Vincent was a magnet for celebrities like Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland and just down the street from the Roxy Theater and Jean’s Fun House. Scores of seedy bars made Vincent Avenue the center of Cleveland’s bawdy behavior and edgy entertainment. Oh, the fun we had! Books will be available for sale and signing at the event.
More About Lakewood Public Library
Lakewood Public Library is a mid-sized public library that serves the City's 56,646 (2000 population per U.S. bureau of the Census) residents at the Main Library and the Madison Branch. Both locations provide an assortment of library services to adults and children. The library has a large and diverse collection of books, movies, music and audiobooks, as well as computer access.
Other events here
- Summer Reading Club Daily,
- Knit and Lit March 19, 2013 / April 16, 2013 / May 21, 2013 / June 18, 2013 / July 16, 2013 / August 20, 2013, 7:00 pm
- Introduction to Ancestry.com Library Edition March 20, 2013 / April 10, 2013 / May 22, 2013 / June 19, 2013 / August 7, 2013, 6:00 pm
- Lakewood Historical Society: Cleveland’s Westside Market: 100 Years and Still Cooking Wed, May 22, 7:00 pm
- Meet the Author: My Sicily: Life in the Cusp of the Mediterranean Sea By Francesca V. Mignosa Fri, May 24, 7:00 pm
- Playhouse: 2013-2014 Season Preview Party Fri, May 24, 7:00 pm
- Lakewood Art House Cinema Cinema Paradiso (1988) Directed by Giuseppe Tornatore Rated R Sat, May 25, 6:00 pm
- Author Book Signing Sat, Jun 1, 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Taste of Judaism: A Three-Part Class for People of All Faiths June 3, 2013 / June 10, 2013 / June 17, 2013, 6:00 pm
- Tail Waggin’ Tutors June 8, 2013 / June 9, 2013, 11:00 am–12:30 pm